Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

182 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for sore dent on head and constant headaches

Answered by
Dr. Dariush Saghafi


Practicing since :1988

Answered : 1711 Questions

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hello i am 31 and I have a dent in the top of my head. I've had it for as long as I can remember and my mom has MS and also has the same dent but hers is not tender. Within the last 3 days mine has become tender followed by a constant headache. When I lay down it hurts, when I stand up if I touch the indent it hurts. I can't see a doctor for about another two weeks. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely of no emergent concern

Detailed Answer:
Good day Ms. XXXXXXX My name is Dr. Saghafi and I would like to help answer your question.

You are 31 years old and are complaining of a "dent" on top of your head which you've had for as long as you can remember. You say that your mom also has the same type of thing. She also suffers from MS. Over the past 3 days you have developed some tenderness in this area followed by a constant headache. It seems to hurt you most when you lie down and when you touch it also. You are planning to see a doctor in the next 2 weeks and would like to know if there is something to be concerned about at this moment.

It would've been nice to actually see a picture of having to do with this "dent" but I would say that if you and your mother have the same entity and you say you've had it for as long as you can recall that what you're noticing is something you've been born with and that this is likely part of the normal configuration of your skull according to your genetic programming which you've noted in your mother.

As far as the pain is concerned this would depend upon whether or not there are any changes taking place within or around this "dent" that are new such as swellings, or a very hard, nodular, mass that you can feel as being different from the surrounding skull area. If you are unable to detect anything of that nature then, I would venture to say your pain followed by headaches probably do not represent any serious pathology and can wait for the next couple weeks until you see your doctor.

However, if you do notice any type of swelling or your headaches become accompanied by nausea, vomiting, double vision, or other funny symptoms that you've never had before then, you should go immediately to an ER and be seen sooner. They will probably get at least an X-ray if not a CAT scan and that way "dent" can be further evaluated.

I hope this information is helpful and helps place your mind at greater ease than before. Please don't hesitate to ask another question if you wish.

Otherwise, if I've satisfactorily answered your question would you please provide your feedback in a written statement along with a START rating so that I may know how helpful this information was for you? Also, I'd greatly appreciate your CLOSING THE QUERY on your end as this will signal to the network that we've adequately addressed your concerns and that the transaction is ready to be filed and credited.

Thank you so very much for allowing me to share an opinion. I wish you the best and hope you will consider looking me up for future questions or concerns.

All the best.

This query required 19 minutes of physician specific time for review, research, and compilation of data for final documentation and envoy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Double vision

doctor1 MD

Can medication for high blood pressure cause blurred vision? I am 93 and my Ilast check was 150/90 The medication I have been prescribed is Felopidine and Bosvate - I also take aspirin which I have had for the last 20 years. I had Bendrofluazide for the last 20 odd years but that was recently replaced by Felopidine I already have prisms for double vision, but this blurring is something new.

doctor1 MD

I had a sudden onset of vision changes, double vision, pictures on the wall sliding up and down crown molding on wall being where is really is plus also below that it appeared to be angled TV on table was there as well as next to it was another TV but it was also angled. Slurred speech and inability to stand by myself needed assistance to walk. All test, blood pressure, MRI where great. It lasted about 3 hours at the hospital. Then suddenly went away.

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Ok, My sister has a lump sitting on her Cartoid artery. She has had a headache for the past 2 months, but her symptons are getting worse. Since yesterday, she now has double vision, dizziness, cannot sleep, and she feels like she is in a vortex. She is also having problems getting words out that she is thinking. She is very healthy and never had any problems. She is 28, 5 6 -5 7 and around 140 lbs. What should we be doing??

doctor1 MD

I have high blood presser and high blood suger I am taking meds but now have times were a'm having double vision that when I drink a soda it gose away what's wrong you think?

doctor1 MD

Hi my head feels heavy I left work early and slept for 3 hours what causes this ? I’m healthy

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with a large DVT in my left leg about 7 months ago. Since then I have had intermittent double vision, chronic headaches, tingling in my hands(particularly my pinky), swollen painful tingling upper right abdomen. Also my joints,mainly my fingers and knees, have been hurting. I had an MRI of my brain and everything was normal. My doctor seems to think all my symptoms are nothing. Should I be worried or get a second opinion?