Suggest treatment for sore dent on head and constant headaches

Neurologist
Question
Hello i am 31 and I have a dent in the top of my head. I've had it for as long as I can remember and my mom has MS and also has the same dent but hers is not tender. Within the last 3 days mine has become tender followed by a constant headache. When I lay down it hurts, when I stand up if I touch the indent it hurts. I can't see a doctor for about another two weeks. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely of no emergent concern

Detailed Answer:
Good day Ms. XXXXXXX My name is Dr. Saghafi and I would like to help answer your question.

You are 31 years old and are complaining of a "dent" on top of your head which you've had for as long as you can remember. You say that your mom also has the same type of thing. She also suffers from MS. Over the past 3 days you have developed some tenderness in this area followed by a constant headache. It seems to hurt you most when you lie down and when you touch it also. You are planning to see a doctor in the next 2 weeks and would like to know if there is something to be concerned about at this moment.

It would've been nice to actually see a picture of having to do with this "dent" but I would say that if you and your mother have the same entity and you say you've had it for as long as you can recall that what you're noticing is something you've been born with and that this is likely part of the normal configuration of your skull according to your genetic programming which you've noted in your mother.

As far as the pain is concerned this would depend upon whether or not there are any changes taking place within or around this "dent" that are new such as swellings, or a very hard, nodular, mass that you can feel as being different from the surrounding skull area. If you are unable to detect anything of that nature then, I would venture to say your pain followed by headaches probably do not represent any serious pathology and can wait for the next couple weeks until you see your doctor.

However, if you do notice any type of swelling or your headaches become accompanied by nausea, vomiting, double vision, or other funny symptoms that you've never had before then, you should go immediately to an ER and be seen sooner. They will probably get at least an X-ray if not a CAT scan and that way "dent" can be further evaluated.

I hope this information is helpful and helps place your mind at greater ease than before. Please don't hesitate to ask another question if you wish.

Otherwise, if I've satisfactorily answered your question would you please provide your feedback in a written statement along with a START rating so that I may know how helpful this information was for you? Also, I'd greatly appreciate your CLOSING THE QUERY on your end as this will signal to the network that we've adequately addressed your concerns and that the transaction is ready to be filed and credited.

Thank you so very much for allowing me to share an opinion. I wish you the best and hope you will consider looking me up for future questions or concerns.

All the best.

This query required 19 minutes of physician specific time for review, research, and compilation of data for final documentation and envoy.