Suggest treatment for somatoform disorder with deprssion

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been at different mental health clinics over the past years. Still not working. Also, I have experience some deaths in the family and within the family lately. I have also attended many 12 step meetings for years, I move back home to help out my family( when I can't even help myself). My just died of cancer, 4/11/2014. Brother had triple bypass the same week. My mother passed in 2005. Husband passed in 1985. Also divorced 2 husbands. Aunt died 2 weeks ago. Another aunt was placed in assisted living, along with her son, that had a stroke. Think it could be the stress? Some pets died. one pet is missing. Lots of stress.

I forgot to mention i have had low blood sugar since 1980 and also anemia. Can you add this will all the rest. I upper arm muscles are hurting horribly and this is after I have taken all my pain medications and put heat rubs all over them. It hurts up into my shoulders, similar to labor pains but it is in my arms.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need some antidepressant

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor would help you in this query.

I think, you have somatoform disorder with depressive symptoms. You have mentioned that you have been to different mental health clinic for last many years, but you did not mention the medicine which you have been taking. In that case, i would suggest that you need some antidepressant like duloxetine with low dose benzodiazepine. These drugs would help to control depressive as well as somatic symptoms. You can also consult a psychologist for relaxation exercise like JPMR. It would help to handle the tense situation in better way.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for somatoform disorder with deprssion 1 hour later
Lots of times I seem to be running from something or someone, or always wanting to move somewhere else, thinking this might help my problems.

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take help of psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Such kind of thoughts are part of depression. These thoughts would decrease with antidepressant like duloxetine, so better to take it as soon as possible. Better to consult a psychiatrist for prescription. You can also take help of a psychologist for cognitive behavioral therapy.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist