• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for somatization disorder

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello doctor.

My dad is 56 years old and is suffering from multiple symptoms. However, when all the tests are done it showed as normal. We admitted him in a mind centre as one of the doctor confirmed it as somatization disorder. I just want to know if there are any treatments for this disorder and will he get cured and become normal eventually?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes there are treatments

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health Care Magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Somatization disorder is common disorder which affects 2 to 3 % population. Having said this it is treatable disorder although treatment is lengthy process and takes weeks or months to have proper effect.

In such patients I often use duloxetine as primary treatment modality and see good improvement.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 3157 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Duloxetine

doctor1 MD

I currently take 60 mg of Cymbalta. As we know, this is a SNRI, not a SSRI. However, I would like to try a supplement called OxyElite Pro to...

doctor1 MD

In 2008 I was in a car accident and suffered serious brain trauma which left me with migraines. I have managed them with Topamax. This worked quite...

doctor1 MD

hello i am a 48 year old the underwent interferion w pegusis treatment and have been dormid all the meds for RA will really effect my current...

doctor1 MD

I recently restated taking 120 mg of cymbal ya and extended release Xanax. I now shake horribly and am experience bladder leakage more times than...

doctor1 MD

Hi my name is XXXXXXX I take trazodone, gabapentin and duloxetine HCL DR, with oxycodon-acetaminophen7.5-325 witch I have to drug test for. I was...

doctor1 MD

I am on 10-325 Percocet for back cronic back pain . It doesn't work any more. What would be the next step up to ask my doctor for?

doctor1 MD

i HAVE idiopathic peripheral neuropathy ... taking 650mg/day of "lyrica"...various herbal supplemen ts and using oxycontin occasionally, when pain...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

153 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ashok Kumar
  • Q - How to have a successful sexual intercourse?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for OCD

  • Q - Suggest the sleep aids that i can use with Carvedilol?

  • Q - What causes sensitivity to sun light?

  • Q - Is it safe to have 120ml of alcohol everyday?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for orgasmic dysfunction

  • Q - Suggest treatment for non retraction of foreskin

  • Q - Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation

  • Q - How long do psychotic disorders take to get cured?

  • Q - What causes erectile dysfuntion?