• question-icon

Suggest treatment for somatization disorder

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello doctor.

My dad is 56 years old and is suffering from multiple symptoms. However, when all the tests are done it showed as normal. We admitted him in a mind centre as one of the doctor confirmed it as somatization disorder. I just want to know if there are any treatments for this disorder and will he get cured and become normal eventually?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes there are treatments

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health Care Magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Somatization disorder is common disorder which affects 2 to 3 % population. Having said this it is treatable disorder although treatment is lengthy process and takes weeks or months to have proper effect.

In such patients I often use duloxetine as primary treatment modality and see good improvement.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist