• question-icon

Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury on thigh

Posted on Tue, 15 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi! Yesterday I was running and I hit the part of my thigh just above my knee very hard on a piece of metal sticking out of the ground. It is kind of painful to walk on. I can bend my leg all the way back, though it hurts a little. It is very painful to run, but I'm in track and it's important that I can return to running as soon as possible. Are there any ways that I can heal my leg quickly?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rest, ice packs and drugs can help! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this accident that you sustained yesterday. I understand the importance of returning to running very soon but it is also important that you get your strained muscle/tissues recovered. From the description of this accident and the symptoms, this represents a simple contusion of soft tissue and maybe the muscle and tendons at this area. The main way to get this problem addressed is to take some rest and pain medications like Ibuprofen to relief the pains. Keep a low level of exercise and exercise just to keep fit and not at a competitive level. There would be a gradual improvement within 5-7days and you can return to carrying on with full levels of exercises and practice. Ice packs on this area will also help relief inflammation and pain. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ivo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ivo Ditah