• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury on thigh

Posted on Tue, 15 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi! Yesterday I was running and I hit the part of my thigh just above my knee very hard on a piece of metal sticking out of the ground. It is kind of painful to walk on. I can bend my leg all the way back, though it hurts a little. It is very painful to run, but I'm in track and it's important that I can return to running as soon as possible. Are there any ways that I can heal my leg quickly?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rest, ice packs and drugs can help! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this accident that you sustained yesterday. I understand the importance of returning to running very soon but it is also important that you get your strained muscle/tissues recovered. From the description of this accident and the symptoms, this represents a simple contusion of soft tissue and maybe the muscle and tendons at this area. The main way to get this problem addressed is to take some rest and pain medications like Ibuprofen to relief the pains. Keep a low level of exercise and exercise just to keep fit and not at a competitive level. There would be a gradual improvement within 5-7days and you can return to carrying on with full levels of exercises and practice. Ice packs on this area will also help relief inflammation and pain. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ivo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Ivo Ditah

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 3922 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Soft tissue

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am a 43yo caucasian woman. Yesterday I began to have muscle tremors in my right tricep area. They occur at rest and are very fast. I have...

doctor1 MD

hi my sis is having stomach discomfort and feels like its heavy and distented without pain. And also having spasam of heaad and neck muscle. It s...

doctor1 MD

Docter , i am Nandini ,49 yrs .i have a polio leg , was given a muscle transplant 30 yrs ago , as my upper thigh muscles were dead , ten yrs ago i...

doctor1 MD

32 yrs old male, height 5.6 weight 88 habbits - smoker ( daily 3 or 4) drinks - occ. once in monthmost of the time Veggy thrice in a month having...

doctor1 MD

Can you get a zit in your nipple? Because I did!!! I didn't know you could get one there. It was the size of a marble and when I squeezed it tons...

doctor1 MD

I have had pain in my index finger for a month and trouble straightening and bending my finger. There are times that my finger remains in a curled...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in the center of my chest near the bottom of my ribcage. sometimes it hurts and burns at the same time. I also have several lumps on my...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

123 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ivo Ditah
  • Q - What causes enlarged heart?

  • Q - What causes spotting after having sex?

  • Q - Suggest side effects of Premarin

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurrent urinary tract infection

  • Q - Can Wimpat,Keppra and Lamictal be taken when BP is high?

  • Q - When can orgasm be experienced after a total hystorectomy?

  • Q - Is tremination of pregnancy at after 26 weeks advisable?

  • Q - What causes swelling at the injection site?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for Angioma

  • Q - What causes chronic Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?