Suggest treatment for sneezing and allergy to dust

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I live in XXXXXXX From last 1 year or so , I have started sneezing a lot..looks like allergic to dust(even little dust) so I consulted a doctor and he mentioned something has become sensitive in nose and that's why even little dust causes sneezing. He prescribed cetirizine and levocetirizine which I have to take every 2-3 days. If I skip ..I keep sneezing whole day.
One of the side effects of cetirizine and levocetirizine that I'm seeing is hair fall.
there're two questions:
1) What's alternative to cetirizine and levocetirizine that help permanently re mediate sneezing problem?
2) Also if I have to continue taking cetirizine and levocetirizine tablet how do I save my hair ? :-)

Doctor also suggested me to go for laser surgery that will burn sensitive skin however I have not got it done yet.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergy in nose can be easily controlled

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Allergy in the nose can be easily controlled.

You will need local steroid nasal spray and Anihistamine tablets. The steroid nasal spray should be taken for at least 8 weeks after which the symptoms can be re valuated. Do not worry about it being a steroid, it is a local steroid, which means that less than 1 % gets absorbed and the rest remains in the nose. It is perfectly safe. The anitistamine and antileucotrine tablets should be taken for 3 weeks only.

Cetirizine or levocetirizine are only symptomatic and provide immediate relief with no long term control.

With treatment control of symptoms will be close to 100%.

With the above treatment allergy can be only controlled and permanent cure is not possible. at present there is no cure. Immunotherapy is a new modality of treatment which claims to cure allergy but it comes with side effects as well as long term side effects. I would definitely not recommend it for you.

See an ENT specialist soon.

I practice in jp XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

regards,
dr rajkishori godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor for answering my question.

is there specific brand/company of local steroid nasal spray that I can go for? at what frequency it needs to be used? and name of spray?
Also any specific brand/company for Anihistamine tablets? name of tablet? and how many times a day this needs to be consumed?

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not good idea to take medicines before seeing doc

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,

It is unwise to take medicines without getting yourself examined first.
Please see an ENT specialist, get your self examined and take a prescription.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi