Suggest treatment for small tumor in the small intestine

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had Cdeff and was in hospital for 20 days now I'm completely healed exercising eating everything fine However the doctor said I have a small tumor in my small intestant and I need a whipple surgery I'm 78 years old never ill till this take no drugs still run a business the doctor says I have ampullary cancer

They had me do lots of heart test came back perfect gave me ct scan said I needed blood test on aug 14th before surgery aug 16 I really need an opinion I've been so sick now I'm feeling great and now this
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for surgery as adviced.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

I've gone through all your details and appreciate your concern.
I am sorry for your diagnosis.
Ampullary carcinoma is a rare malignant tumor originating at the ampulla of Vater, in the last centimeter of the common bile duct, where it passes through the wall of the duodenum and ampullary papilla.

Surgical resection with pancreaticoduodenectomy remains the gold standard for treatment.the 5-year survival rate is reported from up to 39%to 60%.The earlier you recieve treatment the better are chances of survival.

If its diagnosed as Ampullary carcinoma go for whipples operation and follow your Gastro advice.
Cardiac investigations are done to rule out any possibility of coronary event during surgery.

Take home message-
If its Ampullary carcinoma then you have to go for whipples surgery.
Thats the only way out.

Please attach the reports.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist