Suggest treatment for small pink skin growth near the urethra

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi.. I just noticed when going to toilet and using toilet paper that there was something causing pain there when I use toilet paper.. I looked and there is pink/red on the urethra and going towards the vaginal opening, on the side there is a sore.. Solid looking painful only when u press on it. There is also what looks like a white discharge towards the vaginal opening. Ive never had anything like this before. Never had candidiasis or anything. Its not itchy and the only signs that made me realise something was wrong are the sore that is painful only to touch otherwise not noticed and the fact that I feel like I need to go to the toilet (urinate) more often than usual.. Just feeling like needing to urinate. What could this possibly be? I think this could have been initiated by physical trauma. I have a fiance and are getting married in a month so very stressed. Also definitely not STD. We haven't had sexual intercourse in a couple weeks or so cos we have hardly been able to see each other and been so busy and we don't live together but we have had some use of hands and fingers down there and not sure if that could have caused some physical trauma
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be folliculitis or cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A small outgrowth near the urethra which is sensitive and painful can be due to many reasons.The most common reasons can be-
1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.
2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful. Needs to be surgically removed if infected.
3. Bartholin's cyst- due to a blocked bartholin's gland.
A thorough examination by gynecologist is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Till then you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Do take mild pain killer to reduce inflammation and do a hot compress to reduce the discomfort in the area.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Ooki.. I'll see a doctor hopefully today.. The discharge is not from the sore.. The discharge is more from vaginal opening and the uretha is bright pink inside.. So is the cyst connected with those two other things?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pink urethra can be related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The cyst can cause an inflammation causing the urethra to be bright pink and frequency of urination.
The white discharge from vagina is not worrisome if there is no itching or the discharge is in plenty. It may a normal physiological variation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
Hi just a followup.. Went to doctor and she said it was an abscess size of a small pea. She squeezed out most of the pus and gave me fluclixacillin 250mg four times a day. Later that day I started to get muscle aches and joint aches and tingling.. Took some Panadol and the flucloxacillin seemed to help a bit too. This is the fourth day on antibiotics now and I'm still getting that slight temperature and muscle aches and kind of like slight chills if I dont take Panadol. Also as before I saw doc I still have frequency of urination and urgency. Could this have developed into a urine infection?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a urine infection.

Detailed Answer:
The slight temperature and persistent frequency of urination can be due to a urine infection. It is best to get a routine urine examination done to know. Increase your daily fluid intake and take cranberry juice for symptomatic relief.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Ok.. There's no burning when urinating or anything and I usually have a chrinic sinusitis frm allergy but at the moment the mucous is thicker and dark yellow so dunno if its just an upper respiratory infection
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Respiratory infection is not related to urinary symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
An upper respiratory infection will not cause a frequency of urination. It should have decreased after the pus was removed by the doctor. It is best to get a urine examination done to know. The thick and dark yellow mucus with cough can be suggestive of an infection in the airways. But it should subside with the antibiotic you are already taking.
Regards.