Suggest treatment for small, moveable and painless lump infront of the ear

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 24 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a small, rubbery, movable, and painless lump in front of my ear for about 6-7 weeks. I keep touching it because I'm worried it will grow, although it hasn't grown yet. I went to the doctor and felt dismissed by his diagnosis. I was told only to come back if it grows yet he didn't tell me what it is. He did say that he didn't feel that it was a gland. The location of the lump is towards the top of my ear, in front of my ear, where my jaw hinges. Some possible related symptoms: fullness and ringing in my ear and unable to pop my ear for a very long time. I am very worried that this is cancer and I'm just letting it sit. :(
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This does not look like to be a cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Read your history and understood your concerns.

To recapitulate: Female/43 - small, rubbery, movable and painless lump in front of ear - 6 to 7 weeks - Doctor told you to come back if it grows - other symptoms of ringing and fullness in the the ear and unable to pop the ear -worried for cancer...

Your concerns are absolutely right.
The best way to get the correct diagnosis are very simple.

I would suggest you the following considering all the symptoms you have:
ENT examination and clinical evaluation for fullness and ringing in the ear, examination of the lump.
Ultrasonography of the area and FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology).
This will give us the correct diagnosis for the lump in question and at the same time will give us the reasons for the ear problems.
In addition you get the correct medicines for all the problems.

Well, for your information, this is not a site for any known cancer, so stop worrying.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to if you feel that there is a gap of communication.