Suggest treatment for small lump beside my ear lobe

Dr. Ganesh

Posted on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 in Lump
Question: I have a small lump beside my ear lobe. It's pretty small, and can be moved around. I was a little nervous because it is painful. My glands in my neck have been swollen for a very long time. Lately I have noticed that my neck is sore when I move my head. I am 38 years old, and have smoked for 14 years.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
lymph nodal enlargement.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health care magic.
Iam Dr Ganesh.

1. The lump beside the earlobe can be hair follicle infection with pus collection causing pain on touch. Mean while if its been there for a while - just do not scratch or press the lesion - as it will cause not healing of the infection. If then also not healing means a course of antibiotics or depending on size a small incision might be needed.

2. Coming to swollen neck, which needs to evaluate the cause and get treated - as it can not be ignored it may get complicated - Suggest you to get an ultrasound done and get the needful treatment.
An FNAC - fine needle aspiration cytology to find out the cells of pathology.

3. Neck soreness on neck movement - it can be the due to enlarged gland / lymph nodes, may be musculoskeletal pain. Initially try to apply some muscle relaxant and try, if does not work then get ultrasound neck for both gland swelling and adjacent structure evaluation.

Hope it helps you. Wish you a good health.
Anything to ask ? do not hesitate. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D