Suggest treatment for small lump below sternum

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: I have noticed a small lump at the bottom of my sternum. It is not sore and in no way is noticeable, I just felt it the other day. I am 40 non smoker 6' 1" and 185 lbs and used to be a semi professional cyclist and so I am in reasonable health. I can only feel the lump if I push down on my skin, if I merely run my hand over this part of my chest I can't feel anything. Thank you very much for any insight.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a lipoma.

Detailed Answer:
hi and thanks for the query

what you describe is possibly a lipoma and you need not worry much. this is mass that is seen in the skin, generally painless and due to accumulation of fat. removal is needed only if it becomes so big or starts pressing on nearby organs depending on the location.

what describe makes me convinced it needs no surgery now.

rare causes such masses could be eternal tumours. this is unlikely in this case. a chest x Ray can be very useful to be too sure of what's going on.

you need not worry much for your clinical description fits more a lipoma.

kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar