Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for small elongated swelling below right collar bone

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I have small elongated swelling below right collar bone. It is actually about 2 inches in from where collar bone and shoulder make a V. Did not notice it until masseuse last Friday tried to knead it and then I became aware of it. Keep touching it
So now it hurts. Took a couple of alleve so I think it has gone down somewhat. Is this a muscle injury? I do aqua aerobics with weights. Or is it something more serious?

Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

It is hard to tell not being able to see it and palpate it. But this area is where sometimes lymph nodes do appear. Lymph node is usually rounded or tubular structure, painless and movable. Such enlargement can be caused by some infection/inflammation in the close area or can be a sign of a cancer.
It can be also some muscle swelling indeed, however lymph node enlargement needs to be ruled out.
That is why I suggest you to have an ultrasound of this area to rule lymph node out. If the lymph node enlargement will be detected, you should consult hematologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor