Suggest treatment for small elongated swelling below right collar bone

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have small elongated swelling below right collar bone. It is actually about 2 inches in from where collar bone and shoulder make a V. Did not notice it until masseuse last Friday tried to knead it and then I became aware of it. Keep touching it
So now it hurts. Took a couple of alleve so I think it has gone down somewhat. Is this a muscle injury? I do aqua aerobics with weights. Or is it something more serious?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It is hard to tell not being able to see it and palpate it. But this area is where sometimes lymph nodes do appear. Lymph node is usually rounded or tubular structure, painless and movable. Such enlargement can be caused by some infection/inflammation in the close area or can be a sign of a cancer.
It can be also some muscle swelling indeed, however lymph node enlargement needs to be ruled out.
That is why I suggest you to have an ultrasound of this area to rule lymph node out. If the lymph node enlargement will be detected, you should consult hematologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.