Suggest treatment for slurred speech after suffering a TIA

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: A friend of mine may have had a TIA and spent the day in the hospital and they found nothing. She was able to swallow but she is now having trouble producing /s/ in her speech. Here are a list of her meds: stain Zoloft, Valsartan (BP med), cholestyramine (for her stomach from a hiatal hernia, Hydrochlorothiazde (BP med) and vitamin C and D. Her Speech Pathologist said it might be Bell's Palsey instead of a TIA. What do you think as I am a Speech Language Pathologist and used to work at a rehab center but am now in the schools. I recommended a baby asprine of 81 mg. What do you think??? I am standing by for your input. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brain scan should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your friend's clinical details. Based on this, we certainly need to exclude a diagnosis of brain stroke. In Bell's palsy, there is obvious deviation of angle of mouth on smiling and inability to close eyes on the affected side. Along with these features, there may be slurred speech too. However, I would like to order an MRI or CT of brain to make cure there is no stroke.

If CT or MRI does not show bleeding, then, aspirin can be started.

Other medicines may be continued as before.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 hours later
Dear Dr Sudhir-kumar,

I met with XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and she told me she had a CT and MRI which showed no signs of stroke. She is now drooling occasionally. Her /s/ sounds "feels like I am running out of breath". She also reports her tongue fees too "fat". She had a swallow evaluation at the hospital and she could swallow with no problem (unless she is silently aspirating!). I had her say "pu/tu/ka" which is the diodocokinetic rate to determine how fast a patient can say these sound. She presented with a slow rate. She has an appointment with the neurologist on 3/15/17. She also revealed that she was at the dentist recently and got her teeth cleaned so maybe some of the plaque got into her system. Please advise and thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for detailed information.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with more information.

I am glad to note that there are no signs of stroke on MRI brain.

At this stage, aspirin 81 mg once daily may be started until her appointment with the neurologist.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)