Suggest treatment for slow weight gain in an infant
Growth charting is important
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
Although the birth weight is supposed to double by 5 months of age, one reading of weight is not enough to comment on the development. Weight needs to be recorded at 3 monthly intervals and plotted on a growth chart. If the weight follows the same trajectory and does not cross lines, there is no reason to be concerned. But if the growth chart indicates growth faltering, additional measures might be needed.
The child needs semi solids. Basically it is the time of transition to the mashed form of adult diet low on oil and spices. So you can introduce all sorts of food items (in mashed form of course) gradually one at a time per week. I would not recommend cow milk or any other formula. Formula milks are mostly cow milk based. It might be difficult to digest. Besides, if the nutrients can be procured from other sources, milk becomes just an optional component of the diet of the infant. Instead, a home made rice based meal made by boiling with pulses and all sorts of vegetables, makes a much more healthy diet.
Hope that helps.
Dr. Diptanshu Das
When can we start giving her an egg? And which is the correct method? Boiled?
You can give eggs.Can be given in boiled or scrambled but mashed form.
Thanks for asking back. Sorry for the delay in replying.
You can start giving her eggs even now. There is not problem if you give eggs, fish or meat so long it is soft and mashed so that she can accept it. Boiled or scrambled, it does not matter, but I would not prefer deep fried.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cortisol and weight gain treatment
- Hyperparathyroidism and weight gain treatment
- What treatment do you suggest to gain weight
- Medication and treatment to gain weight
- Suggest treatment for weight gain due to hypothyroidism
- Weight gain after taking steroid treatment for allergy suggestive treatment
- Ayurvedic treatment for weight gain
- Suggest treatment to gain weight and for bad breath
- Suggest treatment for weight gain due to hysterectomy
- Suggest treatment to gain weight