Suggest treatment for slightly low BP

Question
I am a 71 year old male on bp medication. I have lost 50 pounds over last 4 months through diet/exercise I now weigh 228 lbs. bp now is 108/67. Is this ok?
Bp last couple of days has been in range of 109/67. Recently lost 50 pounds thru diet/exercise. I am 71 and now weigh 228 pounds at 6'3".

I take lisinopril HCTZ 20-12.5 once daily and one Atenolol 50 once daily.

Before weightloss i was typically in the 125/64 range.

Is my current bp reduction cause for alarm?
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
within normal range

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The normal blood pressure is a systolic (top reading) below 129 and diastolic (bottom reading) below 89. The lower limit of normal is 90/60.
Your readings are above this lower limit and still within normal range.

Blood pressure normals vary from one person to the next. There are some persons who have a normal blood pressure where the systolic is less than 90 and the diastolic less than 60 and have no symptoms of low blood pressure.

Others have low blood pressure symptoms at readings above this.

If you are experiencing symptoms of low blood pressure then this level is too low for you and your doctor may need to discontinue at least one of your meds.

If you are not having any symptoms , then the medication may be continued as is.

Symptoms of low blood pressure are: (1)dizziness, which may be worse on standing
(2)shortness of breath
(3)excess sweating
(4)fainting
(5)blurred vision

The reduction of your blood pressure is a reflection on your successful weight loss.

Summary normal range: 90/60- 129/89

If you have symptoms- need blood pressure med change, if no symptoms doctor may choose to continue as is

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for slightly low BP 27 minutes later
My only symptom is dizziness especially when standing and extreme sleepiness. I started a new med for allergy last week and it is Mucinex Allergy medication which is the same as allegra but seems to have helped my allergic symptions. Could this affect bp?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
not a known effect of mucinex allergy

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the late reply

Mucinex allergy should not affect your blood pressure.

The dizziness on standing and fatigue may be a reflection on the effect of the blood pressure. This means that this blood pressure may be too low for you. You should consider speaking to your doctor so that your BP meds can be altered.

Please feel free to ask any other questions