question-icon

Suggest treatment for slightly elevated BP levels while on Atenolol and Benicar

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: I am 71 195# 5'10 very little fat, I am active and not overly stressed. I take atenolol and benicar but my blood pressure is always between 140 to 150 (sometimes higher) over 90 to 100. My doctor does not seem concerned. What should I do.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I would recommend to add Amlodipine to your therapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Your BP is slightly elevated and it should be lowered to < 130/85 mmhg. If you were my patient I would recommend to add Amlodipine to your therapy.

Since this is a medication you should discuss with your doctor before any change in therapy.

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist