Suggest treatment for slight pain under the breast bone

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Sometimes I feel a sensation/slight pain on the right side under my breast bone. It's a fleeting sensation/ pain that lasts maybe a second and then is gone. I'm wondering if it's a muscular soreness or I'm just wondering if it could be possibly a blockage of some type? What should I look for to confirm that it's not a significant matter? Any suggestions? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Investigations are to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query-
It can either be cardiac gastric or muscular pain.
Only way is to rule out by investigations.

Intially go for cardiac basic tests named stress test and 2d echo.These tests are designed to rule out coronary aretery blockage.

If these tests are normal cardiac cause is excluded.
Start taking Nexium 40 mg once daily its an antacid.Gastritis and gases may mimic cardiac pain.Gastritis pain typically responds to Nexium.

If pain still persists.
Take Ultracet tablet(It contains antiinflammatory).
Muscular pain immediately responds to it.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 10 hours later
I actually had cardiac tests done 2 years ago & everything was normal.. do you think I should repeat them?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
If cardiac tests were normal just 2 years back i don't feel that its related to your heart.
Retrosternal chest pain tingling and burning sensation are often associated with gastric disorders especially in young adults.

Do you have acid peptic problem?
Gas disorder?
Heartburn?
Gastritis?
Alcohol or smoking?
Any relation of pain to food?
Any relieving factors?

Please revert back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 5 hours later
I used to have a reflux problem many years ago & it was chronic. I took medication for it for many years. But then it subsided on its own & I stopped the medication.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
As there is history of gastritis in the past you should take a gastroenterologist opinion.
Most likely its related to gastritis or reflux disorder only which is not properly managed.
I don't think its cardiac.
At the most to be on very safe side get a stress test repeat done again.

Suggestion
Follow up with gasroenterologist.
Chest pain in a 46 year old male who is a nonsmoker or alcoholic with baseline cardiac tests normal is not cardiac.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj