Suggest treatment for slight fever and cough in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: my 8 months old baby is having cold(there is no running nose only chest congestion and nasal congestion) and fever for the last 8 days. we consulted pediatrician on 26 and tuk hicet ax syrup for the last 3 days. from last two days. he is having cough and mild temperature at night(but less than 99). can I stop giving medicines or need to follow up with doctor?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop medicines - will explain when to get back

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I feel your kid is recovering from viral illness. As she has developed cough now, it means we she's on recovery path and moreover fever is not above 100F.

You can stop the medicines.

The red flags when you need to get back to your pediatrician are -

1. High grade fever above 101F.
2. Fast breathing.
3. Inability to feed.
4. Seizures.
5. Unexplained drowsiness.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth