Suggest treatment for slight bump and numbness in knee after fall

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i fell over a month ago onto hard tiled floor and landed directly on my left knee. i had bruising for just under 2 weeks which was mainly to the side and to the back of my knee and it also swelled slightly during that time. a day after the accident i had full range of motion and could walk and run with no pain at all. my problem now, is that i get occasional throbbing on the side of my knee and there is still a slight bump there and also mild numbness. because i have had full range of motion and was able to walk with no issues, i did not get an x-ray nor did i see a doctor. At this point, what would you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of soft tissue injury in knee.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your age and history there is possibility of soft tissue injury in knee.
Most commonly meniscus injury occurs may be associated collateral ligament injury.
If pain persists then you may need to do MRI knee to see for any functional defect.

As per your symptoms you need to do physiotherapy and knee exercises to improve range of motion.
Rest and ice fomentation along with supportive brace will help to reduce swelling and pain.

Small meniscus tear can be managed conservatively with physiotherapy with USG and TENS.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari