Suggest treatment for sleeplessness

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Earlier had a query earlier on sleepless problem for my wife and Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX had responded and was useful. She is having trazodone 50mg(1 tab @ night) and Clofranil 10mg(1 tab @ night) as per our local doctors prescription. Now that her sleeplessness problem seems to have gone. We were wondering how soon can she stop the medicines and what would be the procedure for that.
Answered by Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Problem of sleeplessness.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking this query.

It is really glad to hear that your wife's problem of sleeplessness is solved. Presently she is on trazodone and clofranil.

In my opinion treatment should be continued upto three months. After that dose should be tapered as half tablet trazodone and half clofranil for 15 days.
After that stop the dose of clofranil.
Continue trazodone for a week.
Then only take when their is problem with sleep.

First try to maintain the sleep hygiene by the following activities..
1] Use bed only for sleep and sex. No other activities like watching TV, reading etc.
2] Do not take hot beverages and caffeine containing drink like coffee and tea before going to sleep.
3] Go to bed only when you feel sleepy.
4] Do light dinner two hours before going to the bed.
5] Do some light exercise as slight tiredness good for sound sleep. But avoid heavy strenuous exercises as it causes difficulty in sleep.
6] Try to maintain the time table. Go to bed same time you used to go.
7] Use flat bed avoid too much cushion as it decreases quality sleep. But avoid hard bed.

Above measures will help her a lot to get a sound sleep.

Hope my answer helped you.
Please rate the answer.
I wish you and your wife good and healthy life.

DR SOLANKI
MBBS MD
NEUROPSYCHIATRY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki

Psychiatrist