Suggest treatment for sleeplessness after quitting Co-codamol

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have been taking co-codamol 50/300 for some time - about a year for osteo-arthritis and after two operations for wrist fusions, last one six weeks ago. I want to withdraw from them and have reduced to 4 per day and now trying to do without. Feel absolutely awful, weak, aching all over, sleeplessness. Should I persist and if so when should I experience improvement ?
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal should be done medical guidance

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The co-codamol 50/300 leads to drug dependency on long term use and its withdrawal must be under medical guidance. You may contact pain clinic for this.
Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sleeplessness after quitting Co-codamol 1 hour later
I thought medical guidance was what I have just paid £18 to get ! Please answer my questions.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depression, muscle cramp; Urgent help required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you.
After going through your reply and I appreciate your will to withdraw from codeine. You may persist with withdrawal but under medical supervision as patient have severe symptoms of depression, high blood pressure, loss of sleep, muscle pain, stomach cramps and need immediate help and secondly as a policy we cannot prescribe you any medicine to control withdrawal symptoms.
This is why it is always best to undergo Codeine withdrawal under the supervision of trained professionals at an inpatient drug treatment and rehab facility to have the smooth transition.
I hope your query is answered and I shall be glad to answer further query.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sleeplessness after quitting Co-codamol 4 hours later
No , thank you for that. Just needed to know I'm not an addict looking for excuses not to persist !

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Initially you may have symptoms like flu

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Accept my apology; it was not to hurt your sentiment but to help you to have a smooth transition under trained professional. If you think you can handle the withdrawal then initially you will have flu like symptoms for which paracetamol/Ibuprofen will help. Take plenty of fluid and avoid dehydration. It usually takes 2-3 week time.