Suggest treatment for sleep paralysis

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Hi, I'm currently started suffering from a sleep disorder, when i'm falling asleep my whole body goes into this trance where I can't move talk scream and it feels like there is something sucking the life out of me, I can't breath or it feels like I can't breath and it's very hard to wake up and when I do it's very scary
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is known as sleep paralysis feature of narcolepsy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

The description given by you correctly fits in a phenomenon known as sleep paralysis which is common feature of narcolepsy.

For confirmation of diagnosis and treatment please visit a sleep medicine specialist and he will advice you for polysomnography and some other blood tests.

Once this is done it can be treated by simple medications like modafinil which is prescription only medication.

For sleep paralysis tricyclic antidepressants (amitryptiline) help to a great extent.

I must assure you that it is treatable condition and there is little to worry.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj