Suggest treatment for sleep apnoea

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi,

I asked the below question and was told that Sleep apnea is treated by Neurologist/Pulmonologist .

Can you please clarify and confirm it

Thanks

**************************************

Can you kindly advise me the cure/remedy for Sleep apnea. Details of patient is
34 year old obese male , currently diagnosed with high BP and high Cholestrol.
Weight - 81 , Height - 5 ft 7 inches
Diet - Non vegeterian
Non smoker and non drinker.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sleep apnoea is treated by pulmonologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

Sleep apnoea is generally treated by pulmonologist.

Sleep apnoea patients are often obese, may have other asoociated disorders like diabetes, hyper tension, dyslipidemia and hypothyroidism. Here the concerned patient has hypertension and dyslipidemia(high Cholesterol).

He has to have a complete medical check up to rule out any other above mentioned diseases.

He has to undergo sleep studies called polysomnography to know the severity. He should also have a spirometry and a echo test.

All other co morbidities like diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia and hypothyroidism have to be treated.

Weight reduction needs to be seriously attempted.

He will need assisted ventilation with CPAP or BiPAP. For this he will have to get into a hospital where a trial of CPAP or Bipap will be given and finally he will have to get his own machine for domiciliary use.