Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for sleep apnoea

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 1126 Questions

I asked the below question and was told that Sleep apnea is treated by Neurologist/Pulmonologist .

Can you please clarify and confirm it



Can you kindly advise me the cure/remedy for Sleep apnea. Details of patient is
34 year old obese male , currently diagnosed with high BP and high Cholestrol.
Weight - 81 , Height - 5 ft 7 inches
Diet - Non vegeterian
Non smoker and non drinker.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sleep apnoea is treated by pulmonologist.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

Sleep apnoea is generally treated by pulmonologist.

Sleep apnoea patients are often obese, may have other asoociated disorders like diabetes, hyper tension, dyslipidemia and hypothyroidism. Here the concerned patient has hypertension and dyslipidemia(high Cholesterol).

He has to have a complete medical check up to rule out any other above mentioned diseases.

He has to undergo sleep studies called polysomnography to know the severity. He should also have a spirometry and a echo test.

All other co morbidities like diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia and hypothyroidism have to be treated.

Weight reduction needs to be seriously attempted.

He will need assisted ventilation with CPAP or BiPAP. For this he will have to get into a hospital where a trial of CPAP or Bipap will be given and finally he will have to get his own machine for domiciliary use.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor