Suggest treatment for sleep apnea

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 1 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: II have been diagnosed with sleep apnea . I don't want their equipment . AllI need is a method to keep my nostrils open and capable of passing air

Do you have any suggestions
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs a device if not responding. If no then surgery

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Sleep apnea is mostly obstructive one due to relaxed throat muscles. So i believe you got Obstructive Sleep apnea.

I respect your concern for the sleep apnea devices but i am afraid if normal measures like losing weight and quitting smoking etc has not helped you are left with no other option but to try any of the available devices or go for surgery. Those are the only few valid ways to keep the nostril open.

CPAP ( COntinuous positive airway pressure ) device, adjustable airway pressure device, EPAP ( Expiratory positive airway pressure device ) and oral appliances are some of the options . EPAP is comfortable and a small valves placed in the nose and keeps it open. Oral appliances are also easy to use.

If no then surgery is the next option like UPPP ( UvuloPalatoPharyngoplasty) a tissue removal surgery, jaw repositioning, implants or creating a new airway if need be like tracheostomy.

Meanwhile stop smoking if you are a smoker, avoid alcohol or any other tranquilizer, lose weight, sleep on your side or abdomen and never on your back. Tie a rubber ball to back of your shirt so that even if you sleep on back you soon change the posture to sideways or prone position.

Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

regards
Khan