Suggest treatment for sleep apnea with breathing difficulty

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Dr. Rynne . My blood pressure is within the norms 125 or so over in the 80's when I get checked at the doctors. It feels as though my heart is working harder though when I lay down at bedtime. That is accompanied by a slight difficulty with taking a deep normal breath. It feels as though my heart is working harder while I'm in flat horizontal position, I can actually feel it beating harder. It is disrupting my sleep. As far as I know I do not have asthma or sleep apnea. I'm 6'1 225 lbs, starting to exercise again. My main problem with this, is that it disrupting a good night's sleep for me and I am feeling very exhausted during the day. I'd appreciate any thoughts from you. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

What you are experiencing most likely is related to palpitations and arrhythmias. Palpitations are mostly felt while you lay down and are experienced as your heart is working harder.

If you were my patients I would recommend to do the following examinations to find out what is causing your symptoms:
- Blood work
- ECG
- Cardiac echo
- Holter monitoring
- Strsss test

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu