• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sleep apnea and UTI

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm a 26 y/o male 178 cm x 60 kg. I'm quite stressed at the moment but last night for the first time since I was a child I had a dream I was using the toilet and actually wet the bed. No health conditions I'm aware of. I'm so embarrassed about this, should I see a doc to see if something's wrong?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Enuresis

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I can understand why this would be distressing. In an adult, enuresis is usually a sign that there is an underlying problem and does require an evaluation. Possible causes in someone your age (I am leaving out those things more typical for older folks) include:
Sleep apnea (repetitive airway closing in sleep) although in someone of your weight, this is somewhat less likely.
Severe stress and anxiety
Depression
Urinary tract infections
Diabetes (usually there are other symptoms though - this isn't typically a presenting symptom)
Nighttime seizures
Large intake of fluids
Caffeine
Alcohol
Diuretics
Abnormal sleep architecture resulting in difficulty waking up when there is the urge to urinate. Sleep architecture changes can happen from meds, herbal supplements, sleep aids, caffeine and alcohol.

I recommend seeing your doctor who will take a history to determine the likelihood of seizures, bladder reflex abnormalities, and review your medications. If no cause is readily identified, you may need to undergo a sleep study to rule out a sleep disorder.

In the meantime, reduce your drinking within four hours of bedtime and urinate immediately before going to bed.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh