Suggest treatment for skin tan and acne on face

Dermatologist
Question
I've been taking salicylic/glycolic acid peels at a clinic in XXXXXXX to treat acne and intense XXXXXXX on my face. My acne has considerably reduced. But over a period of time the XXXXXXX returns to my face and the skin color on my face is quite uneven. So, I've been taking 5-7 peels every year from the past three years to control both acne and XXXXXXX But now, I'm moving abroad and chemical peels at clinics or cosmetic centers abroad are 20 times expensive than the clinics here in XXXXXXX So I'm planning to take those peels at home as most of those peel solutions don't require a prescription in the United States. My face is considerably darker compared to the rest of my body and occasionally acne does turn up on my face. I'd like you to suggest me which kind of peel is appropriate for treating my XXXXXXX acne and to even out my skin color. Also suggest me the concentration of the peel solution that I should use.
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chemical peels

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are concerned about the tan/acne on your face and would like to know more details on chemical peels.

If you plan to do chemical peels at home for uneven skin tone, XXXXXXX and acne, I would advise you to go for Glycolic peels and Lactic peels.

Both these peels work well for the above mentioned indications.

The concentration of glycolic peels for safe use at home would be 20%. That of lactic peels would be 70-90%.

Try to get gel based peels as these are safer and less irritating than water based peels.

You could try to get these from ebay online.

You could do the peels once in 4- 6 weeks.

You could alternate between the 2 peels.

Apply the peel evenly, leave it for only 2 minutes initially and gradually build up the duration for a maximum of upto 4 minutes for glycolic and 10 minutes for lactic peel.

Do take a steroid cream like Desonide 0.1% or Mometasone furoate 0.1%. Apply twice a day in case of redness or excessive peeling.

Always use a good, broad spectrum sunscreen every 3-4 hours in order to prevent further XXXXXXX and as a protection during peels.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any further queries, I will be glad to assist.

Take care and have a great trip!

Dr. Johny Chacko