question-icon

Suggest Treatment For Skin Tags

Posted on Tue, 14 Nov 2017
Question: Hi My sister has 2 skin tags and she wants to know if there is any remedy s that she can do at home and she would also like to know what cause them she just went through menopause and she thinks that the reason she got them.
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (42 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Electrosurgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Skin tags are benign pedunculated growths that usually occur on body sites like neck and axillae. The tendency to develop skin tags is genetic though they are more common in obese individuals and in those with type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. The best way to get rid of skin tags is via Electrosurgery i.e excision at the base followed by fulguration. There are no recommended home remedies to deal with skin tags and application of caustics which has been traditionally employed to shed off skin tags may cause side effects like pain, ulceration, bleeding, infection, pigmentation and scarring. Home remedies are therefore not recommended.

Follow up: Dr. Dr. Kakkar (52 minutes later)
What about revitol skin tag remover
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding skin tag removal

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Revitol skin tag remover contains Thuja as an active substance which is an ayurvedic ingredient. Even though there are individual positive google reviews of its efficacy in skin tag removal there is no scientific evidence in its favor and moreover it doesn't work in all. Though claimed to be painless it takes a long time to act. I am not in favor of it. I think electrosurgery is the easiest and best way to get rid of skin tags and moreover electosurgery removes skin tag instantaneously and without any pain or secondary complications like infection, pigmentation or scarring.

Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist