Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

190 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for skin splitting on buttocks

Answered by
Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 180 Questions

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Skin keeps splitting between buttocks. Hurts. Tried anti-fungal ointment, cortisone and A&D ointment. Almost seemed to clear up and then just split again when I had a bowel movement. What is this, what can I do to treat/prevent it, what kind of doctor do I need to see about it?
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Upload a photo

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query.

From your description, your skin in between the buttocks keeps splitting and it hurts. You have tried anti - fungal cream, cortisone creams, A&D ointment.

It would be really greatful, if you could upload a photo of the area or can mail me to YYYY@YYYY with subject as ATTN:Dr Ashwin Bhandari.

Mean while follow these instructions which will help in reducing the symptoms:
1. Keep the area dry and exposed to air atleast for few hours a day, if possible.
2. Avoid any trauma or minor injuries in the area.
3. Continue with A&D ointments or go for Sucoderm cream. Its topical zinc oxide which will act like a barrier.
4. If overweight, loosing weight will also help in maintaining skin integrity.
5. Anti fungal and anti bacterial ointments might be required.

Dermatologists would be the best doctors to treat skin conditions like yours.

Please send a photo of the area, which will help me in advising you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Zinc oxide

doctor1 MD

I m a 32year male, generally healthy. Literally over a night or two, I have developed a red, raised rash on the skin between my butt cheeks. I originally thought it was haemorrhoids and so tried zinc oxide and lidocaine cream, after bathing them in salt water, but felt it started to spread further onto the cheek and up towards my scrotum. I therefore thought it could be fungal nappy rash (due to sweating and hot weather) and so bought clotrimazole 2%, which I have ude for 2 days now, but to little improvement. Any thoughts please? Thank you!

doctor1 MD

Can anal fissure lead to anal warts? I have had anal fissure on and off for years which makes bowel movements difficult. (Im now 22) but eventually someone told me to use Zinc Oxide, which helped heal them. a year later I get them again but this time I didnt have the ZO cream so I use hydrogen peroxide for a few days but switch to ZO again. They heal, but one day in the shower I feel small bumps, which when I saw them later- seemed like skin tags. I tried a few things to get rid of them, but then more bumps appear, and they are different and they seem like it could be warts...

doctor1 MD

i scratched my vagina when I was showering and now I have a light pink residue when I wipe. will this go away on it's own

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My daughter is approx. 1 year old. She has developed some red rashes today evening and she is trying to scratch it over the clothes. 1. Is it because of diaper? Previously we used to keep her without diaper for 3-4 hours in a day but,...

doctor1 MD

What could be cause of my rash? I was traveling in COZUMEL and Cancun. The last morning ( Nov. 22 ) I swam in the heated pool, which was being cleaned ( walls) at far end. I subsequently walked on beach for about an hour and took a swim in the...

doctor1 MD

Hi I m a 30 yr old male. I have been having testicle mycosis for about 6 month have visited the dermatologist and they have given me the following Loxzital Mentol Lotion(Zinc Oxide & mentol),and Fungosin (Nitrate Miconazol ) medication: but still have intermitent ichiness, I now my overweight is a factor and i try to keep my self dry and clean underwears but it bothers to much.what should i do?

doctor1 MD

my 11 months old baby suddenly has pimple like bumps in diaper area.i have been using zinc oxide cream since her birth.these bumps appears after she had a i am using hydrocortisone bp & nebanol powder.i found no sign of uncomfortableness on her but she cries out at night for 2/3 days at night when diapers are used for long.pls advice.