Suggest treatment for skin rashes and cough in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My 1 year old has skin rashes now. It started small in the morning but now it grown bigger. He has cold and cough since yesterday and doctor gave him medication. Before he took cough syrup (Viscodyne-LS) the rashes were small but by the evening rashes gotten bigger. Please let me know if I should consult doctor immediately or it is some kind of heat rashes.

sorry for additonal comment but, I have attached the rashes to this case. please review and let me know if those rashes need immediate attention - emergency.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply clotrimazole powder

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached images. Indeed the rashes seem to be heat rashes or milia. I will insist you to use Candid (clotrimazole) powder topically and see whether it helps. I hope that with its use the rashes will subside in a few days. If it does not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and get him evaluated further.

In case there is fever associated, I would insist you to seek medical attention at the earliest and to visit the ER for the same.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 58 minutes later
Hello Dr. Diptanshu XXXXXXX

Thank you for the response. Yes, he did have the fever from past 2 days. We have been using Tylenol for the fever. We went to the ER and the doctor over there told us that these are viral rashes (not sure what that mean) and these are common in kids age between 0-3 years.

My little one is in XXXXXXX from past 5 months and since then he had cold and cough 4 times and everytime he had cold/cough we noticed rashes on his skin (not exactly the same kind of rashes i attached before) but, I think, i see a pattern here but when asked the doctor I got the same answer "these rashes are because of infection or bacteria or viral".

Could you help me what can I do different to avoid these. I am worried of using to much medication (for cold, cough, infections and fever) on him in this age.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor is correct about the possible viral cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

If there is fever, your doctor is right about the possibility of a viral exanthem. In other words, there are several viral infections that manifest with fever and rashes. It is likely to be one of those. Irrespective of treatment it would be there for a week or so and then gradually resolve. I would insist you to apply calamine lotion as an emollient. You can also give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for the next few days. You need not worry as it is a safe medicine although it can give rise to increased sleeping (not a cause for concern).

These rashes do not seem to be due to bacterial cause based on their looks. I do not think that you need to worry.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
Hello Dr. Diptanshu XXXXXXX

Thank you somuch for quick response and for the detailed description about the viral rashes. I will apply 'Calamine' from tomorrow onwards.

I really appreciate your prompt response on my stupid questions :)

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back directly if you ever have a health related query in the future. I would be there to assist you.