Suggest treatment for skin rash after starting Xanax

Dr. Alok Sinha

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: the most effective sleep aid for me is Xanax(DOSAGE OBTAINED BY BREAK UP ONE 1MG PILL INTO TEN PIECES). Antihistamines never worked for me nor all the other so called naturally occurred chemicals produced by our body. I have been doing this for more than 4 months now except three days ago, I started to develop some kind of skin rash. Do you think Xanax can be the one to blame? Otherwise such a low dose of Xanax should be a gift from heaven for me. Any comment?

My e-mail may not work. Could you give me your reply in some other ways?
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This rash is not related to Xanax.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for asking your health related query here.

As you told, you are taking a very low dose of Xanax since last about 4 months for inducing sleep and recently you developed some kind of skin rash for 3 days.

It does not seems to be effect of Xanax. Rashes may be due to some other reason which needs evaluation. Xanax should not be blamed. I know, it works good in many of my elderly patients. At low dose side effects are not encountered.

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D