Suggest treatment for skin infection on scrotum

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Today is the 15th, I was shaving my scrotum on the 3rd of this month and I cut myself very lightly on a couple different parts. There was no serious blood or anything but I noticed the razor blade had a small amount of rust on it that I didn't notice before. I decided to wash it thoroughly and put some Neosporin ointment on it while I prepared to take a long 6 hour car ride. Over the next two days, I washed the small cuts and made sure I wasn't having a bad reaction to the ointment.

On the 6th, I noticed a small rash along the area of my scrotum where the cuts were and were I applied the ointment. I needed to make another long car ride and I suspect the heat along with the sensitivity of the rash area had an effect because when I checked it during the ride it seemed to get worse and worse. Very red, very itchy, the rash was now slightly larger and covering nearly the entire left side of my scrotum. I washed it thoroughly and tried to keep the area dry. It proceeded to get worse within the next few days becoming very irritated and itchy.

On the 9th, I was reading on how to treated irritated rashes or allergic reactions to Neosporin and I learned that an oatmeal bath might do the trick so that's what I did for the next couple days (once a day for two days) and I did see signs of relief, even when I just used oatmeal paste instead of a whole bath.

Later, I had read that Aloe Vera would help along with the relief so I bought some moisturizing cream and applied it liberally for the next couple days starting on the 10th . Bad idea since it appeared to drive matters in the wrong direction as I now noticed small yellow puss that would crust over after a few hours over the area where the small cuts had been. I've stopped using it and have tried to maintain the area with cleanliness and dryness. Last night, however, was the worse the crusting had ever been. I noticed it was very yellow (a sure sign of infection) and very pronounced. So much so that I had to give it a deep clean with more oatmeal.

And to answer the obvious question as to why I never saw a doctor is because I don't have insurance and I wanted to wait and see if it would heal on its own. I'm worried about having a possible serious infection and I'm going to the doctor's tomorrow morning but I wanted to get an opinion first. Possible allergic reaction to Neosporin coupled with a reaction to Aloe Vera moisturizing cream and a week and a half later and still nothing has healed properly. I'm worried I might have tetanus despite not showing any obvious symptoms yet.
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is nfection of subcutaneous tissue of scrotum.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed infection of subcutaneous tissue of scrotum due to ill-treatment.

Please get your blood sugar levels done to rule out Diabetes.

You need to take broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefexine along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily for 10 days.

Ensure to wash your genitals with warm water and microbial solution Betadine twice daily and use topical antibiotic cream like Soframycin (for local application).

Ensure to avoid sexual encounters till it heals up completely.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for skin infection on scrotum 5 hours later
Did I possibly get this from the Neosporin and Aloe Vera? How can I avoid getting this again if I happen to have a small accident again?

Brief Answer:
Most unlikely to be due to Neosporin or Aloe Vera.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
Genital area is potentially prone for infection due to sweating and even a slight injury in this region gets infected as compared to rest of the skin .

Ensure to keep proper personal hygiene in day to day life by washing it with soap water and after shaving private parts with aseptic precautions.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.