Suggest treatment for skin infection on neck

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question:
I am having a skin infection on my neck. I have shown it to a dermatologist and he advised me a cream "betamil" to apply daily and reduce use of deodrants on body. I have started using perfumes or deo on clothes and apply the cream but the infection keeps coming back. Pfa the pics. Can you please help me resolve this completely?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More pictures required, history required

Detailed Answer:
Hello Vibhor,
Thank you for writing to us on HCM.
From review of your pictures and history it seems you have got a fungal infection called Tinea. But still I cant say anything specific because one of the picture is very hazy and moreover the history is still incomplete.
Thereby, I request you to post some clear pictures from different angles so that I can have better understanding and also mention the following points in history:
1. Sites involved apart from neck? Especially any history of similar lesions over groin or buttocks?
2. Associated complains-itching present?
3. Any family history of similar lesions?
Hope you will revert soon.
Thanks
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 44 minutes later
No one has this sort of infection in my family.
The infection is only on both side of neck. Nowhere else in body. Yes itching is present but in small amount. Pfa the pics of both sides of neck.
Brief Answer:
oral antifungal, topical antifungal & Halobetasol

Detailed Answer:
Hello Vibhor,
Thank you for pictures.
After careful review I would like to put forward two differential diagnosis:
1. Tinea: The fungal infection of skin
2: Polymorphic lichenoid eruption(PMLE) secondary to sun exposure. (Kind of eczema/dermatitis due to sun)

Sometimes clinically its not possible to put a single specific diagnosis and in such scenario treating along the line of differential diagnosis is the best method.

I would advise you the following regimen considering your clinical picture.
I would suggest you oral fluconazole 150mg on two consecutive days every week for 6 weeks and oral antioxidants tablet like ANTOXID HC daily once in morning for 2-4 weeks.
Apply a cream containing halobetasol and a cream containing sertaconazole twice a day. Take 1:1 quantity of each cream, mix and gently apply twice a day for 2 weeks.
Take antihistaminics like levocetrizine if required for itching.Take these medications with your local doctor prescription.
Use good quality sunscreen with 30 SPF each time before going out in sun.(SUNCOTE sunscreen gel).

Let me know about your condition after 2 weeks with follow up pictures so that I can further guide you along the management because the treatment doesnot end here even if your lesions get resolved completely in 2 weeks.
Hope you got my point here.
Thank you and take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda