• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for skin discoloration and open pores

Posted on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello greeting

i m suffering from skin discoloration as well i m having open pores so please help me i tried many creams n skin massage ntng seems to be reducing teh skin pores issue n i having patch discoloration near to the temple of the skin so please suggest me some good n better product i m using lakme facewash apart from that i dnt use any other product as i like to be natural i m having t - zone combination skin fair tone
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Adcice regarding skin pores and skin doscoloration

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns. You have mentioned 2 issues over here.. Skin discoloration and Open pores

You have an oily skin type in the central T zone i.e combination skin (central T zone is oily as compared to the rest of the face).
Pore size is governed by the size and activity of sebaceous glands. Oily skin has wider pore size because of the large size of the oil glands as compared to dry skin in which the oil glands are smaller and the pores are finer.
In those who have a combination skin, the central T zone is oily and therefore these individuals have bigger pores in this area as compared to the rest of the face.

While it is really not possible to permanently alter pore size because pore size is genetically determined, however, various treatment options are available aimed at decreasing the size and activity of the sebaceous glands temporarily and over long periods if used regularly.

One of these is Oral retinoids (Isotretinoin). Oral retinoids reduce the size and hence the activity of sebaceous glands to 10% of what it initially was, after a month of regular use. Retinoids are usually given at a low dose i.e 10 mg or 5 mg once daily, for this purpose.

Another option is to take regular chemical peeling sessions.
Salicylic acid peeling is quite useful for this purpose. It dissolves in the lipid rich pores and also dries up excess oil.
The peeling sessions are usually repeated once every 2 weeks.
Regular salicylic acid chemical peeling will also refine your pore size..

You may also opt for a few Microdermabrasion sessions alternating with Glycolic peeling sessions.
You would certainly notice that your pores have become tighter and refined.

For Skin discoloration I would suggest that you use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g fluticasone propionate 0.05% cream, twice daily for 3-4 weeks.

Also protect you skin from sun. Sun damage is also one of the causes of skin discoloration as well as wider pore size.
For sun protection you may use a broad spectrum sunscreen e.g Neutrogena ultrasheer dry touch sunblock with spf 50, can be used 15-20 minutes before stepping outdoors.

I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your region and discuss in more detail about these.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Kakkar S.


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 8967 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Skin massage

doctor1 MD

Hi I had a message the other day, then got a hand job, she spit on my penis with no mouth contact I am now worried to death that I have maybe got...

doctor1 MD

help for swollen arm post stated lymphedema and blood clot in r arm. 201/2 in on right and 14 1/2 in on left. This is post cancer in breast and...

doctor1 MD

my age is 17 height 5 10 weight 65 I havent consulted any doctor but i m suffering from very high pigmentation and their are so many dark spots on...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

158 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Kakkar S.
  • Q - Suggest treatment for thinning of skin

  • Q - Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?

  • Q - What casues allergic skin rash?

  • Q - How to diagnose herepes type 2?

  • Q - What causes white pimples in vagina?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp

  • Q - What causes non itchy eruption on penis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body