question-icon

Suggest treatment for skin cancer

Posted on Thu, 5 May 2016
Question: My dear friend called tonight and told me she had cancer. Her remark was that she found a lump in her upper arm and after she took a fall of some sort, whent to her MD who diagnosed, after biopsy that she had sa rare tumor with a name like Perkal or Perkel. Her MD tolf my friend that she has a one in three chance of survival. I believe my spelling of the cancer is incorrect however as classmates since the third grade I just could not call her back. Maybe its a bad dream?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri (13 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
The cancer is Merkel cell carcinoma, a cancer arising from skin.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

I believe the cancer diagnosed on biopsy on upper arm is Merkel carcinoma.
Merkel cell carcinoma arises from cells in the skin and it is a rare and aggressive cancer.
The major risk factors are exposure to sun-light and weak immune system.
It is important to know the spread of the tumor to stage it. Her oncologist will know about it or he may plan to stage it now. Prognosis and treatment options depend on stage of the tumor.

The treatment modalities include, surgery, chemotherapy or radiotherapy or both.

It is an aggressive tumor and the doctor has explained her the poor prognosis.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist