Suggest treatment for sinusitis

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have used a spray all week for my sinuses with no affect what else can I do? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. It is important to know if you suffer from chronic sinusitis and what surgery was done 5 years back. Its also important to get details of the nasal spray you've been using for last week with no significant results before we can discuss alternative treatments. The possibility of exposure to allergy causing agents in last six months needs to be discussed. The main objectives of a blocked nose or sinus is to decerase the inflammation, keep the passages and sinuses draining, treat the infection and eliminate the agent causing it. This can be done in many ways as given below. 1. Saline irrigation: the nasal passages are sprayed with saline and rinsed. 2. Nasal corticosteroid sprays like Flonase, Rhinocort etc. can be inhaled in measured quantities regularly. 3. Oral steroids and injections are given for severe sinusitis in cases where polyps may be causing the block. 4. Nasal decongestant sprays or drops can be taken. These must not be taken for longer periods. 5. Taking oral antibiotics usually helps in controlling any infection. 6. Taking immunomodulators like montelukast works for many patients of chronic sinusitis. 7. If you have had allergy problems then taking oral antihistamine like fexofenadine may help. It would be nice to get an X ray or CT scan of your sinuses to see if there is any block caused by your previous condition. Treatment choices are many and you may require change of medications after discussing with your doctor. Do write in with updates. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E