Suggest treatment for sinusitis

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was sick with a sinusitis/bad cold for almost 2 weeks. I was better but still was coughing occasionally to clear out phlegm. A week later I woke up with a super sore throat-couldn't even swallow. My tongue was yellow, and my throat was bright red. I then noticed by hat night, white blister sacs on my uvula. I don't notice them elsewhere. I called my doctor and he went with augmententen. I did a home rapid strep kit and it says NO strep. I'm not sure what it is. I noticed swelling went down a bit. But it's now day 3, and 4 pills in...and it's still painful. I'm hoping I wake up tomorrow much better.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pharyngitis with aphthous ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic
,
From the description of your symptoms and the pics you uploaded it appears that you are suffering with pharyngitis with oral ulcers.

Ulcers in the oral cavity are rather common with pharyngitis, especially with viral pharyngitis.

Do not worry, Please continue augmentin. But it may not give you any relief if the infection turns out to be viral , since augmentin is active only against bacterial infections.

For the pain you can take any pain killers like Tylenol or ibuprofen after checking your dose.

For the ulcers you can apply gels containing local anaesthetic 3 times a day , 20minutes before food. The ulcers will go away in a few days, once the infection is controlled.

Please do warm salt water gargling 5 times daily and drink plenty of warm fluids, get enough rest and avoid fan, air conditioining and cold foods.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi (MS ENT)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta