question-icon

Suggest treatment for sinus tachycardia

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016
Question: Hi, can you tell me if this looks like atrial flutter? I don't want to look like a idiot and run to a hospital. Kind regards.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

After reviewing your ecg I would like to say that it doesn't seem like atrial flatter. You are having sinusal tachycardia (i.e. only tachycardia) with a lot of artifacts on ecg registration.

My advice is to stay calm and relaxed for the moment and take deep breaths to help to lower HR. If you have any betablockers (Metoprolol or atenolol) you may take 25 mg to lower HR.

If the problems seems to get worse you should go to ER.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu (6 minutes later)
Thanks for the reply. I was told it looked like ectopic atrial tachycardia which apparently goes under the flutter umbrella. Likely around a asd closure. But baybe its not the same now.

Kind regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (14 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Atrial ectopic beats are the less severe atrial arrhythmia (if compare with atrial flatter or fibrillation) which are very common in patients who had done cardiac surgery before. They are never life threatening and you shouldn't worry about them.

However in the ecg has no signs of ectopic atrial beats, but only tachycardia.

wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist