Suggest treatment for sinus infection

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello...I have a question regarding what has become a very painful condition with my tongue. The appearance is an open sore about the diameter of a pencil eraser. It is surrounded by white discoloring and is located on the underside near the rear of my throat.

At first (3 days ago) I was experiencing what seemed to be the onset of a sinus infection...sore throats that radiated up into my ear. However, over the next 24 hours, the pain began to seem more localized to the an attempt to play Dr. I grabbed my IPad and took a few attempts at catching evidence of a red throat. What I captured was the above description. While the initial cause remains a mystery, I am fairly confident, a damaged crown on a back tooth is coming into contact throughout the day...I am an educator and quite literally lecture non stop for 6-8 hrs.

I have an appointment to have my tooth repaired in a week but if the past two days represent an ongoing increase in pain, I will be unable to eat, drink. My question's.

1. Am I am overlooking additional, more critical possibilities? I.E. a viral infection etc
2. I have avoided a prompt care visit because I don't believe they could do or prescribe anything I cannot get over the that true? I am currently treating it with a mild numbing oral gel used for tooth aches or gum issues..I also have been coating the suspected tooth area with wax used by folks who have braces. I tried a more potent liquid numbing agent and WOW did it hurt.

I wish I could attach a photo for visual consideration, which I have but it appears this site does not provide that option...any thoughts advice or words of wisdom would be welcome.

Kindest Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ulcer tongue

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic and thanks for putting up the query
According to your explanation and the picture you have sent..i think it is a tongue are right it can be due to a jagged tooth or even otherwise..
My advise is you should immediately visit an ENT SPECIALIST because it needs to properly investigated as it can be malignant. A palpation of the lesion can help to diagnose. Even a biopsy may be required. So rather than trying medicines you must get yourself examined.

Any further questions are always welcome
Thanksand regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Answered by
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1392 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Sinus infection

doctor1 MD

I have had the implanon for almost two years now and im showing signs of pregnacy ive even took quizes to maybe give me an idea and all has said...

doctor1 MD

I am a type 1 diabetic with a sinus infection and I am taking the antibiotic cefuroxime axetil 500 mg tablet, one twice a day. I have been taking...

doctor1 MD

The last couple of days I ve had episodes where it seems like my right side of my brain/head is sinking. It s almost like I m fainting, but only...

doctor1 MD

I m breathless all the time (even sitting at my desk now), I feel dizzy (bent over this morning to take my sinus nasal steroids and nearly passed...

doctor1 MD

Can you take amoxicillin and Valtrex for shingles at the same time. I have a sinus infection and my shingles has returned. YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

Hello Sir/Mam, My self XXXXXXX XXXX and i m 29 yrs old.I m accountant by profession.from last 1 yr i m suffering from Sinus problem.I DAILY FEEL...

doctor1 MD

I had a sinus infection about a month ago and right after i had a headache on the top back of my head. It was not severe but throbbing...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

182 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction