Suggest treatment for sinus infection

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi,

My daugther, XXXX age 8.5 yrs has been detected Sinus below colorbone area.
There is a small hole king of thing in that area since birth and her doctor said leave till there is any discharge from it. Few days before there was some discharge from the opening which had very odur smell as well. We visited her pediatrician who referred to surgeon. Surgeon advised to go for USG from which it detected as Sinus. For discharge Docotor said it is infection for which Antibiotic (Zifi 100) was suggested and he advised to go for surgery (not immediate) for sinus. Would like to have opinion whether surgery is necessary or is there any alternative solution for this as we want to avoid surgery on small kid.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Only surgery can cure such problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history About your daughter of 8.5 years having a sinus and is taking an antibiotic for the current infection.
Sinus is a blind tract formed under the skin. It has a lining of skin and/ or epithelium which does not allow the healing and hence needs total excision of the internal lining.
This is possible by surgery alone.
Other methods is scrapping, injection therapy/ cauterization also needs interventions are are not successful and can cause recurrence or complications.
I can understand your thoughts/apprehensions very well when it comes to daughter of 8.5 years.
Please do not worry. The anesthesia and surgical techniques are very well improved.
I hope this answer helps you in decision making. Consult a Pediatric Surgeon for second opinion.