Suggest treatment for sinus infection

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a bad sinus infection where everything was green I went in antibiotics and it cleared up but I have these fits of coughing and when I do the pain in my forehead is unbearable .is there something I'm missing here?
Answered by Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Isolated residual sinus disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you for writing to HCM.

It appears that you have had a bad case of sinusitis as described by the green discharge from the nose. An antibiotic course would have certainly helped in fighting the infection.

However in some sinus cavities such as the sphenoid or frontal sinuses, it takes longer for the sinuses to clear out and antibiotic penetration is lesser. Therefore it is possible that most of your sinuses may have cleared up with the antibiotics but the frontal or sphenoid sinuses may still be filled with mucous. These start to drip into the nasal cavity and then into the throat called as post nasal drip (PND). This explains why you get these fits of coughing because this is mucous that falls unexpectedly on the voice box triggering a series of coughing spells.

Due to the coughing, the pressure within the infected sinuses increases and leads to the unbearable headache around the forehead.

In my opinion I would recommend that you see your ENT and discuss my suggestions. You may need a longer course of antibiotics along with some nasal sprays (decongestant/saline). You may also need a nasal endoscopy or a CT scan to identify if the sinusitis is due to some bony or anatomical factors for which you may require other treatment options.

Hope this information helps. Do let me know if you have any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj