Suggest treatment for sinus infection and fullness in the ears

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had ear fullness in my right ear for a little over 2 years now. It started as a sinus infection and the fullness has not gone away. I have do the valsalva technique and it provides temporary relief. I have been to the ENT and they can't find anything. My hearing is excellent even though I have tinnutis in the ear. I recently had a CT scan and my sinuses were clear but it did show that I have a deviated septum. Could this be the reason for my ear feeling the way it does ?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could e due to the DNS

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes it is possible that the DNS is causing the ear fullness and also the tinnitus.

There is a tube called as Eustachian tube , which connects the ear to the back portion of nose and this may not function properly in case of DNS.

Once the tube does not function , it causes the ear to be full/blocked and this can be relieved b valsalva , as is seen in your case.

There are many treatment options including surgical correction of the septum , nasal sprays , yoga specially pranayam exercises, and even placement of tubes in the ear.

The options can be discussed with your doctor and you can choose the most suitable one for you.

Take care!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist