Suggest treatment for sinus drainage

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 16 Oct 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have been having a sinus drainage I feel it all the tine at first I would be clear when I coughed it up now it is yellow most of the time I need to clear up the sinus infection is it is starting to make me soar in my chest Smoked most of life can this get better since I quite smoking it clears up sometimes then goes right back it is maybe a alleger
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
COPD should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on HCM. After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having chronic sinusitis with post nasal drip with a high risk for COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) considering your symptoms and previous smoking history.

2. For your current chest symptoms you need to visit a pulmonologist and get evaluated. Investigations that may be required are CBC (Complete blood counts), Serum IgE, Chest Xray and pulmonary function test.

3. For the chronic sinusitis, an ENT (ear nose throat) evaluation is required by the ENT specialist. If allergy is the etiology, then nasal sprays may be helpful.

4. If pulmonary consultation reveals an associated obstructive airway disease like COPD then you may be started on inhalers and certain oral medications.

Thus get a pulmonary and ENT consultation at the earliest.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist