Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for significant withdrawal symptoms

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
Can I get my daughter (an addict) in trouble for hospital shopping and emergency room abuse. I am trying whatever I can to get her into treatment. She is already is in trouble with the weakley county ambulance authority. She has to come up with need or they won't take her. This is for three hospitals. She is having to find someone to take her. She is having strong withdrawals and is seeking pain medicine or shots. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for writing in.

If she is having significant withdrawal symptoms, then this may be a good opportunity to get her to the hospital to start de-addiction treatment. Since you have a genuine intention of getting her into treatment and since severe withdrawal symptoms warrant immediate medical attention, I think you have a valid reason to take her to the hospital. I don't think this would be viewed as an abuse of the medical services. You can highlight the fact that she is experiencing severe, unmanageable withdrawal symptoms and that she requires medical help urgently. But you have to ensure that your daughter is willing and co-operative for in-patient treatment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for significant withdrawal symptoms 15 hours later
She makes up a different symptom each time hoping to get a pain shot or hopefully admitted. My daughter is unwilling and un-cooperative for inpatient treatment. She only wants a temporary fix to get her by that day. Every place she goes know why she is there but have to treat her complaint. After that they discharge her. In 2010 she had a quadruple by-pass surgery. Only a matter of time before another heart attack. She has high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease. I don't know what she is mixing up to get high. No money. Can I report her for hospital shopping and emergency room abuse. She goes to er about 3 times wk.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can report her.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the clarifications. From what you say, it does appear that she is abusing the medical system to get pain shots. 3 ER visits per week is definitely not appropriate when she is unwilling to get a proper inpatient treatment and is continuing to abuse drugs.

In such a case, she may be only doing herself more harm by continuing to abuse the emergency services and continuing to go doctit would shopping, rather than getting continuous care and follow up. Unfortunately, the limitation in most ERs is that the doctors work in shifts and keep changing frequently. So, it is difficult to track down someone who keeps visiting different ETs and different doctors. So, it wouldn't be a bad idea to report her for abuse of emergency services.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor