Suggest treatment for significant withdrawal symptoms

Psychiatrist
Question
Can I get my daughter (an addict) in trouble for hospital shopping and emergency room abuse. I am trying whatever I can to get her into treatment. She is already is in trouble with the weakley county ambulance authority. She has to come up with need or they won't take her. This is for three hospitals. She is having to find someone to take her. She is having strong withdrawals and is seeking pain medicine or shots. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for writing in.

If she is having significant withdrawal symptoms, then this may be a good opportunity to get her to the hospital to start de-addiction treatment. Since you have a genuine intention of getting her into treatment and since severe withdrawal symptoms warrant immediate medical attention, I think you have a valid reason to take her to the hospital. I don't think this would be viewed as an abuse of the medical services. You can highlight the fact that she is experiencing severe, unmanageable withdrawal symptoms and that she requires medical help urgently. But you have to ensure that your daughter is willing and co-operative for in-patient treatment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for significant withdrawal symptoms 15 hours later
She makes up a different symptom each time hoping to get a pain shot or hopefully admitted. My daughter is unwilling and un-cooperative for inpatient treatment. She only wants a temporary fix to get her by that day. Every place she goes know why she is there but have to treat her complaint. After that they discharge her. In 2010 she had a quadruple by-pass surgery. Only a matter of time before another heart attack. She has high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease. I don't know what she is mixing up to get high. No money. Can I report her for hospital shopping and emergency room abuse. She goes to er about 3 times wk.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can report her.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the clarifications. From what you say, it does appear that she is abusing the medical system to get pain shots. 3 ER visits per week is definitely not appropriate when she is unwilling to get a proper inpatient treatment and is continuing to abuse drugs.

In such a case, she may be only doing herself more harm by continuing to abuse the emergency services and continuing to go doctit would shopping, rather than getting continuous care and follow up. Unfortunately, the limitation in most ERs is that the doctors work in shifts and keep changing frequently. So, it is difficult to track down someone who keeps visiting different ETs and different doctors. So, it wouldn't be a bad idea to report her for abuse of emergency services.