• question-icon

Suggest treatment for side effects of Verapamil

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been taking Verapamil for 30 years and I am suffering for Loss of Vision, Difficult breathing, acking joints. Now a hard time moving my bowels along with other things other things and it seems to be getting worst as times goes on.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend performing some tests:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to Verapamil adverse effects, although only constipation is a known adverse effect of this drug.

Coming to this point, considering also the fact that you have been taking this drug for such a long time, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests to exclude other possible causes:

- a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests to exclude a lung disorder
- a resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart function and structure
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolyte levels including calcium for electrolyte imbalance
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- PCR and ESR for inflammation.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist