Suggest treatment for side effects of Minoxidil
1. I am having hair loss for past 2 years , I consulted a dermatologist and he prescribed me Hair4u which contains Minoxidil. I used it for around 10 months and Ketafung CT shampoo , which contains coal tar and ketaconzole . after the usage , I see Minoxidil is completely deposited on the scalp , which is like a layer on my scalp. My scalp is very dry . Whenever i comb my hair , I Can see those layer deposited coming as dust. I also get itching .
Though Minoxidil has help me in hair growth for initial few months . I now see a lot of hair falling out with lot of dust . What should i do ?
2.I stopped the usage of Minoxidil for past 2 months. The level of dust falling has reduced . The 1st month had no hair fall. But for past 2 weeks i see my hair loss again . Is this because as i stopped the usage of Minoxidil ?
Switch to a minoxidil free aqueous formulation
Hello. Thank you for writing to us
I am Dr.Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Minoxidil can crystallize upon drying on scalp and moreover since it is formulated in an alcohol base, it can cause dandruff.
Certainly, the recent increase in hair shedding is because of minoxidil withdrawal.
Since minoxidil causes crystallization and dandruff, you may use a minoxidil free and aqueous based product e.g Mintop PRO serum Or Anaboom serum. These are prescription products and I suggest that you talk to your doctor prior to using them. Application is same as that of minoxidil solution i.e 1 ml, twice daily.
In addition I would also suggest you to take androanagen tablet, once daily.
Continue with the same shampoo for dandruff, flaking. Use it every alternate days or even once daily.
1. Will these serum yield a better result like minoxidil ?
2.Can i use the serum and minoxidil on alternative day ?
3. He also suggested me to use a mild shampoo (Hyervita) on alternate days as my scalp is too dry. Any suggestions on this ?
4. He also asked me to apply Mometasone Furoate Cream USP (HHSONE Cream) along with oil as this would reduce crystallization caused by minoxidil .
How long should i use and your suggestions on it.
5. Can i switch back to Minoxidil once the dryness and crystallization is gone ? or will the dryness come if start to use my minoxidil ?
Serums are effective alternatives to minoxidil
1. These serums are not US FDA approved for androgentic alopecia, they nevertheless are effective alternatives to minoxidil.
2. Yes, you can use both minoxidil and gro-medic serum either at seperate times of the day or on alternate days, depending on your convenience.
3. I agree with your doctor on the type of shampoo. You can use it even daily.
4.HHsone is a topical steroid. Yes, it would definitely take care of both dandruff and scaling due to minoxidil. So I agree with your doctor here as well. You may use it for 2 weeks.
5. Dryness and crystallization are inherent problems with minoxidil use. Some patients have more problems with these side effects as compared to others. Minoxidil is likely to cause these problems again. Therefore, instead of using minoxidil at both times of the day I suggest you to use minoxidil once daily as well as hair serum, at seperate times of the day. This would reduce the chances of these side effects of dryness and scaling.
The hair which i gained by using Minoxidil for past 1 year is lost within a month or two on stopping the usage of it.
Though i had hairloss while applying minoxidil due to crystallization . I also saw a rapid hair growth while using it .
What if i dont care about the crystallization due to minoxidil and continue to use it.
What may be the effect which will be caused other than "Dry Scalp" .
Can i continue to use Minoxidil , need your advice . If then please prescribe be the best minoxidil which yield better result and causes less dryness .
Earlier i used Hair4u . Need your advice on this.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Side effect on radioactive treatment
- Melacare side effect treatment suggested by doctor
- Side effects of fertility treatment
- Suggest treatment for lisinipril withdrawl side effects
- Driclor side effects treatment
- Suggest treatment for side effects caused by overdose of parecetamol
- Side effects of malaria treatment
- Suggest treatment for nicotine withdrawal side effects
- Suggest treatment to treat propofol side effects
- Side effects of melanocyl treatment