Suggest treatment for side effects of Disulfiram and Lipitor

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: Dr XXXXXXX Shehu attached is link with four case studies.

.1.Based on my symptoms do you believe I am similarly situated. In other words do you think I have neuropathy.

I see neurologist and will let you know his diagnosis and whether he will do EMG/NVC of arms and repeat on legs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC0000/
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for contacting me again!
I read very carefully the material you have sent to me and I would like to say as follows:

- Your symptoms may be associated with neuropathy caused by concomitant use of Disulfiram (antabuse) and lipitor.

- Conduction nerve test is essential (and should be done on the four limbs) in the evaluation of nerve damage. Only if the nerve conduction test will be normal neuropathy should be excluded.

- Please contact your neurologist and discuss with him about Nerve conduction test in order to exclude/confirm periferic nerve damage (neuropathy).

I'm waiting for more news from you!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 24 hours later
I visited the 3rd neurologist. I gave him the history. He did a neurological work up. He said I have PTSD from my husbands death of 2006, (he died in a womans bed) depression and anxiety. He said until I deal wit the PTSD the symptoms will not go away. He also stated he does not believe I had a lipitor/antabuse reaction or that I have neuropathy or any other drug reaction. This is the 3rd neurologist who states this is stress.

I have scheduled a test for Monday for an EMG of arms and legs with a pain management doctor.

Do you believe I should keep appointment or just accept what the three neurologists have stated.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Since this is the third neurologist that after a complete examinations exclude any nerve damage, than the wisest thing to do in your case is to accept their advice.

PTSD is a common cause of your symptoms and you should contact a psychologist to start CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) to deal with it.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
this morning i woke up with tingling in arms. also my eye and throat are numb. if you believe PTSD can cause these symptoms I will seek counseling. So are you saying I should not do emg/nvc Monday

1. also the dr presribed gabapentin. do you sugest I take it.
2. should i still have nerve conduction studies on monday
3. the numbess has spread to left eye and throat. Do you think gbapentin will help his.
4. if i tke gabapentin how will i know symptoms have gone away
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
Let me clarify to you my opinion.

My advice is that you should do the scheduled test to remove any doubt about neuropathy. If the test will be negative than you should focus on PTSD management.

Gabapeptin is a preparation used in adults to relieve nerve pain (related to nerve damage) and you should take it regularly as ordered by your doctor. It will help you.

Since he had prescribed it to you, I think that you should do the scheduled test on Monday and after that we should know for certain what is causing your symptoms and what is the best treatment.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 43 minutes later
To describe the symptoms at 230 am I woke up with severe tingling in both arms. My face from the left eye down to the throat was numb. it was almost ike a burning acid feeling in the throat area and it was difficult to move the cheek and eye. I took an alpha lopoic acid pill. I also took xanax. It took an hour to two for the symptoms to relax and go back to normal.
right before each symptom I get a headache on the right side.

Can this really by PTSD or depression.
I am trying to remain calm but this is getting very weird. Especially now that it is in my face.
I notice the symptoms are now only at night. It could be because I take the alpha lopoic acid in the day time that I do not get the symptoms
I have been prescribed gabapentin. Do you suggest iI take it.
My concern is what is truly causing these symptoms.
Taking the gabepentin and alpha lopoic acid seems to only mask the symptoms.

Could I have been poisoned by the anta buse/lipitor
You are the only one truly listening to me at this time.
Please advise what I should do.

Dr Shehu
Thank you so much for listening to me. You are the only Dr who seem to truly understand and is considering that nerve damage should be ruled out.
I was a healthy woman enjoying life, exercising, laughing, eatting healthy, having fun. Since the alcohol antabuse of April 15 everything has gone wrong.
Could I have poisoned my system ?
Also this throat thing is weird. Its like a burning acidy feeling .
Please do not give up on me.
I will take test on Monday.
Should I also have one done on face by eye where the numbness is occurring.
Is there any test to determine if I have somehow have some infectuous desease. This all started after April 15, the day I returned from Cuba. Or could I have gotten an infection at the hospital on April 15

dr shehu
i now have a long streak of blood going down a vein on inside of left leg. could co q 10 cause tthis.
also what can I do to increase muscle strength in left eye to prevent upper lid from fluttering
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Yes anxiety may be the cause of your symptoms, but it should be confirmed after excluding nerve damage. Nerve damage from antabuse use is excluded with the scheduled tests on Monday.

My advice is that you should continue with Gabapeptin, lipoic acid and CoQ 10 to help you relieve your symptoms.

I would exclude infection as the cause of your symptoms since you haven't got fever during this time.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 9 minutes later
one question.
emg/nvc on both legs and arms. what about face by eye. that is scary for me.
if there is damage, what do we do/

i am working on a brief today to take my mind off this . My main cncern is at night. Thats when the symptoms are the worse. aI start the gabapentin this evening at 300 mgs. I hope that I can sleep through the night. It is very disruptive to wake up in pain and then be disfunctioanl the next day.
BTW I watched Albania march in last night during Olmypics
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You shouldn't worry about face and eye symptoms they are most likely related to anxiety. However I would recommend to do eye fundoscopy (ophtalmoscopy) to exclude any problems.

Please take the treatment as prescribed by your doctors.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 17 hours later
Hi
I started the gabapentin. I slept through the night.m
I notice my face is slightly drooped on right. It's like Bell's palsy.
When I visit pain doctor tomorrow I will ask for prednisone .
Also I notice my right hand feels tight. Hopefully it will loosen up.I take test tomorrow.
I pray to God that they are normal.
If test are normal, then what is next step.
I know I will take therapy.
But how long will I remain on alpha lopoic acid, gabapentin and co g 10.
You previously mentioned if no nerve damage 2 to six months for healing.
How will I know I am healed if on the medicine.

dr Shehu
Thank you o so much. I pray that the test are normal tomorrow. But it appears that if here is nerve damge it can heal provided the nerve cells havent died
So first let us hope the tests are normal. Second if not normal let us hope that the nerve cells havent died.
Please pray that the tests are normal or at the worse the nerve cells havent died and can be regenerated.
I will attach the reports and send to yu tomorrow.
I will contact you immeidately after tests.

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

First of all I pray that everything will be normal on the test tomorrow. If this is the case then you shouldn't worry about nerve damage. You should continue with actual treatment for at list 3 months and then should gradually stop gabapeptin.

Meanwhile you should start Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) as part of dealing with pain and other symptoms.

I'm waiting for the test results.
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
EMG report attached
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I check the EMG results done on XXXXXXX but can you upload the complete results, because some datas are missing.

Moreover can you upload together with the results of tomorrow tests.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 18 minutes later
I will resend tomorrow. This DR said the test was normail. Even though normal I still have trouble at times getting the leg in sync. Its like I have to really concentrate to get the brain to connect the leg to move.
Is this normal. Will this get better with time.

Also should I have this the left redone since it was done XXXXXXX 2016 or just do the right leg and upper limbs tomorrow
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back

You should do the righ leg and the arms.

Moreover some of your symptoms may be agravated by stress, please keep calm and have faith on the actual treatment. Everything is going to be ok within a couple of months.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back

The results seems within normal limits and you should continue with righ leg and both arms examination tomorrow.

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu