Suggest treatment for side effects of Diclofenac

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: hello sir,
my child was born with arthrogryposis affecting his lower limbs and cdh..he recently has his orchidopexy surgery done on 26th may 2015..we gave him 5 ml crocin twice a day and one diclofenac suppository once a day...so total we have used 3 diclofenac supoository 12.5 power...he is 9 months old and weighs 8.15 kgs.....doc said to avoid diclofenac and use crocin syrup 5 ml thrice a day...now pls telme whats d harm in diclofenac suppository and is it safe to use crocin syrup for 4-5 days depending on the pain....we only give him crocin syrup when he srts shwing signs of pain...also how long will it take for the pain to completely go away? he has no swelling today ..no liquid oozing,nothng..just the pain that comes back after 8-9 hours....
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are several side effects of diclofenac and medicines of that group

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided and understand your concerns. Diclofenac is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and there are a number of side effects that this group of medicines has. Although effective in pain control, these medicines are known to cause gastritis and gastric erosions. They also adversely affect the functioning of the liver and the kidneys.

Crocin contains paracetamol which is a very safe medicine. So giving crocin for pain is advisable. 5 ml of crocin per dose is right to be given to your child.

It is very difficult to predict how long the pain would be there. Although the pain might gradually come down to some extent, it will perhaps still be there. Your treating physician would be able to give you a better idea in this regard.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
sir i have used dichlofenac 3 times till now...have i overdosed? or used it more than i should have?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, that is fine and would not count as an overdose.

Detailed Answer:
No, that is fine and would not count as an overdose. You need not worry.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician