Suggest treatment for side effects of Dexamethasone

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Cancer
Question: side affects of dexamethasone is that I am having hiccups and it won't stop for 2 days
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
antiemetic may help

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic.
The dexamethasone is a steroid and steroids like other difficult to tolerate drugs may cause gastritis and that makes you have hiccough.
The primary problem for which you are getting dexa may also be a cause itself.
You should ask your doctor for prescription of H2 blockers and antiemetics like ondansetron wich may help you a lot.
Make sure you are not empty stomach at time of taking steroid.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 days later
Recent sores and itching in the top of my head be a side affect of the medications that I am taking?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
possible side effects

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Welcome back.
The sore and itching may be as a result of steroid therapy. But it may be due to other reasons also.
You should get the lesions seen by a like cal physician to differentiate among these.
It is a bit complex decision.
If due to steroids then you may need alter doses or options.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj