Suggest treatment for side effects of Carbidopa and Levodopa

Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's a year ago last spring. I'm wondering if it's possible for him to be having a reaction to cabidopa/levodopa med. sence he has started he has developed many problems he had diabetes 2.first Sence 1st of year he started leg swelling raspy breathing (congestive heart failure) several UTI's then a fib they did now his 3rd heart shocking this week and changed heart meds. now he has high blood pressure today it was up to 216/101 when he has always had lower than average blood pressure. It seems to all have started after he started on the Parkinson's med. could it be possible. Is there another choice for his Parkinson's?
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
stop Carbidopa / levodopa , Seek an appointment with your neurologist

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

1. The Complications you have mentioned can occur with Carbidopa / levodopa in few people who are susceptible

2. There are other Drugs which are available for Parkinsons. However they are all prescription drugs and hence, as per the rules, I cannot mention those here

3. I would suggest you to kindly stop Carbidopa / levodopa , Seek an appointment with your neurologist and look for other alternative

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj