Suggest treatment for side effects of Bactrim sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim

Posted on Mon, 28 Mar 2016 in General Health
Question: My mother 90yrs old took wrong medication by mistake bactrim sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim took 10mg and 5mg the next day she is struggling together out of bed with badly hurting knees it is so painful anything you could advice she is also very tired exhausted
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Age related arthralgia and not due to bactrim

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Hurting knees and struggling getting out of bed is age related articular degeneration and arthralgia and not the use of bactrim which is very mild and below the daily dose so its not even an overdose. No worries for that.

Now the pain, she should be started on some strong painkillers like NSAIDs or opioid painkillers. Supportive measures are the only option here. You may talk to your pain management expert and request for patient controlled analgesia for the better relief.

Nutshell its age related and not due to the antibiotic of bactrim. I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and your mother's and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan